Wednesday, 8 February 2017

The Tyndall Range

6 - 7th February 2017

Mt Tyndall
Mt Geikie
Mt Sedgwick

Day 1
I arrived at the car park at the foot of this beautiful mountain range on the west coast of Tasmania around 10am, threw on my boots, gaiters, and pack and headed for the hills. There were many cars, and the log book was chock-a-block with names. The Tyndall range is a popular climbing spot; I didn't see anyone where I went to though. After signing in, 500 metres of elevation had to be gained, first through a small scrub band then on an open Buttongrass ridge, all on a beautiful cairned track. A smidgen over an hour later I was on the rolling plateau, covered in conglomerate boulders, Fagus, Cushion Plants, and various small alpine grasses. I found a suitable spot to dump my pack and then headed north off the track for the summit of Mt Tyndall. A very short walk lead to the summit which had no discerning features as the top other than my GPS co-ordinates and altitude reading saying I was there. A well trodden path lead to the more interesting smaller summit a few hundred metres away. This point is 4 metres lower, but had an old survey mark as well as a remnants of a log book container. I frolicked back to my gear after 20 minutes of summit time.

A little after 1:00pm I reached Lake Tyndall, where I set up camp and had a relaxing lunch in the sun. I then decided to head for Mt Geikie, a few kilometres south of where I had set up home. The walking was glorious; open easy grassland with sections of conglomerate slabs made for delightful going, and only 40 minutes after leaving the tent I was sitting next to the old trig-point. The summit was super still, and had a marvelous view north along the range, as well as to the east. The main highlight being the goal for the following day; Mt Sedgwick. It was also the only Abel I've been on that has a whisk on it... I spent almost an hour on the summit before strolling back to camp in a similar time frame for an afternoon of reading and cups of tea. A great way to wrap up a day.

I laugh in the face of danger.

Whitham Bluff

Looking south along the beautiful range.

On top of Mt Tyndall, looking to Mt Murchison.

The trig point on Mt Tyndall.

Alpine daisy looking lovely as pie.

Mt Geikie - such an amazing looking thing!

5 star accommodation.

You can just see the trig on Geikie.

Check out that geology. It rocks!

The summit view looking towards Mt Sedgwick.

Summit whisks.

The moon over the Tyndalls.

Day 2
I left camp quite early (just after 7:00am) to head towards Mt Sedgwick, the Abels book states that it is around 6 hours return from Lake Tyndall. A few minutes of easy open walking before I had to drop down a hundred metres in altitude to an undulating ridge heading towards Sedgwick. The decent was quite easy, with only a few small sections of scrub to contend with, and towards the narrow ridge I even found some cairns navigating through the boulders and Scoparia. Once on that ridge it was again easy walking for a few kilometres to a point where the ridge is broken by a small saddle with a creek running through it. I went a silly way through it and got caught in some scrub, but when the ridge was gained on the other side it was smooth sailing all the way to the base of Mt Sedgwick. The climb up to the peak didn't take long. 5 minutes was spent in some cutting grass before an open dolorite ridge could be followed to the summit, which I reached after exactly 3 hours of walking. I spent half an hour on the summit, admiring the peaks to the south, Mt Lyell being a huge eye catcher, as well as The Eldons to the east. On the walk back I found a more sensible route through the scrub, and was back at camp after 2.5 hours of walking (making it exactly 6 hours return)!

I had a cup of tea and slowly packed up my tent before heading back for the car, over the moon at how beautiful a place it was to be in. My next visit will have to be in Autumn when the Fagus is changing colour. The place would look amazing.

Early sun on Geikie.

Strolling towards Mt Sedgwick,

Easy to see why climbers like this place.

The dolorite ridge to the top is pretty obvious.

But first, a wee bit of scrub.

Near the top!

That view though. So great!

A wee friend on the way home.

53 left.

Peace,
Zane.

No comments:

Post a Comment