Tuesday, 13 December 2016

Walking in the West

12th - 13th December 2016

Mt Dundas
Mt Read

Day 1
I left home at 9am and drove to the west coast, passing Zeehan on my way to the start of the Mt Dundas track. I parked the car near an apiarist site along Howards Road and headed off up an old bulldozer track. Soon after leaving the car I had to take boots off to cross Farrell Rivulet and then it was up and up on the now overgrown dozer road. A bit after an hour I came to the end of the road and picked up a well taped walking track that continues the northerly beeline for the summit through some beautiful stands of Myrtle and Fagus. Within 20 minutes I poked my head out of the thick forest and was presented with a beautiful view of Dundas and an open marshy section of land. I had heard it was hard to find the right path across this feature, and found myself following braided paths every now and then, but managed to cross it no worries. From here it was back into some Fagus and Scoparia vegetation which kept my eyes from the view until almost near the top. The last few hundred metres was on a defined and rocky ridge-line with the views ever expanding until I reached the summit after 2 hours of walking. I had fantastic views of the West Coast Range, Overland Track mountains, and Frenchmans Cap. My mind drifted to the name sake of my challenge as I looked west and saw Mt Zeehan and Mt Heemskirk, both named by Abel Tasman in 1642 after the two vessels he sailed with. The walk back to the car took a little less time than up and was equally enjoyable! I then drove to the car park of Montezuma Falls where I spent the night in preparation for the next day.

Mt Dundas lookin' fine!

I believe I am in the right area. Good.

Native Laurel in full bloom!

Left to right: Native Laurel, King Billy Pine, Pandani, Leatherwood.

Mt Dundas from the marshy marsh.

The last rock hop to the top!

Look at that view, so splendid!

Day 2
I left from the Montezuma Falls car park/picnic area at about 6:50am, keen for an early start as it was already a humid day and the weather report made mention of rain in the afternoon. I started with the quick drive a few short kilometres back up the Williamsford Road to the start of my next Abel, Mt Read. The access is via a road all the way to the top (used to service the tel-co towers and as access to the now closed Hercules Mine site), but it is locked with a gate after a few hundred metres. I had for some time, wanted to ride my bicycle up Mt Read. I jumped the gate and started peddling up the 8.5km stretch of road. It was mostly steady going, with only a few times it being necessary for me to get of the bike and push. I went through various bands of vegetation and the 1 hour and 20 minutes to the summit flew by. I delighted in the view (Mt Read gets over 4000mm of rain a year, so I was happy to have a view) particularly back towards Mt Dundas, and was amused by the quirky trig point decoration. After my time on top I began the fun part; hooning down. It took me 14 minutes. It was fun. A lot of fun! I spent the next hour poking around the nearby town of Rosebery which Mt Read looms above. Rosebery is a town I'd not spent much time in and it was well worth the stop!

MMG is an interesting company that I learnt more about in Rosebery.

Mt Read and the stallion that took me there.

Some of the best Waratahs I've seen this year were beside the road.

Very arty wind swept vegetation.

Le trig.

A fine view towards Mt Dundas.

81 left.

Peace,
Zane.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Zane!, that is one heck of a fabulous view from the top of Mt Dundas, I didn't expect that, well done on your amazing venture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting it to be as fantastic either! :)

      Delete
  2. Did we not teach you how to ride a bike.... the handle bars and saddle go up and the wheels are on the ground! It is much faster and more comfortable..... Sounds like a great couple of mountains Zane. Great to see native flowers. Beaut views :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! I will remember that trick for next time I try to scrape somewhere on a bicycle. Thanks mum! :)

      Delete
  3. You meant to say that Mt Read gets 4000mm of rain a year. Yes, you were lucky to get a view :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I do love a good mistake. Fixed now.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete