Thursday, 28 July 2016

Mt Maurice

28th July 2016

Mt Maurice

So, first Abel after getting back from 3 weeks in New Zealand! I attempted this easy Abel when I did Mt Barrow earlier in the month, but found that a bridge had been taken out in the recent flooding. This would have added a lot more time to the walk, which I didn't have. I came back with my mountain bike, so I could ride the forestry roads to the trail head.

With my bike on the car, I drove up the scenic Camden Hill Road into the north eastern high country. Mt Maurice is situated behind Mt Barrow from the Launceston perspective, but is still only a 45 minute drive away. I drove to the end of the forestry spur road where the old bridge across the St Patricks River had been damaged and a blockade put across the road, pulled the bike off the car and rode onward. The ride up the winding forestry roads took around 40 minutes to get up to the trail head. It was mostly re-growth and recently felled coups. I locked my bike to a tree (just in case), and wandered off into the bush. The walking was easy, as I only needed to gain around 200m of elevation to the top. I soon reached a Myrtle forest with patches of snow on the ground, making for a beautiful walk. After 30 minutes of this, I was on an open plain with a lot of scrub weighted with a decent amount of snow. This made for slow going, raising the scrub off the path and trying to not get snow in my boots. It didn't work. I got saturated. Should've brought gaiters; or pants. Silly Zane.

After around 50 minutes of walking I arrived at the rounded summit, and had a magnificent view! The surprising thing about Maurice is the granite. I would think it would be one of the few (if not only) Abel that is a granite dominated mountain. It was quite interesting, but I only poked around for 10 minutes or so before heading back down due to the cold. The walk down took only 25 minutes, thanks mainly to the snow clearing I did on the way up. And the ride down to the car was over within 15 minutes!

It was a wonderful day out, and a great little Abel to get back into the swing of things!

YOU. SHALL NOT. PASS!

Mmm, such beautiful surrounds...

Clearly not that managed. This sign is in need of some TLC.

Beautiful Myrtle.

This dude was about 4m tall!

The rounded summit of Mt Maurice.

Snowy sunny scrub.

The vista from the top! Woo!

114 left.

Peace,
Zane.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! Hope NZ trip was great xx NanGillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nan-Gillie!
      Back home safe and sound. I'll have to come out your way soon for a visit (and some mountains)
      x

      Delete